Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 12, 2010


Over the past year or so, I have grown tired of my routine here in Columbia. While I have had some great times here over the past 8 years, and I will say Columbia is a fantastic college town, I feel that my life has come to a standstill here. I'm 27 years old, and moving from one restaurant job to another is getting old, no jobs relating to what I went to school for exist here, and those that do exist pay so terribly that I'd be better off waiting tables. Also, I feel unable to break my cycle of student loan debt on the barely-get-by money I'm making right now, and as some of you know, feeling like you're drowning in debt is one of the worst feelings in the world! I know its a recession and everyone is hurting, but I was always taught to find opportunity in tough times, so that is what I'm doing now.


I've decided to chase a dream that I've had for many years now, to move to Key West, Florida, my favorite place on this earth. The first few months of entries on this blog will be the steps I take to make this happen. First I will need a job down there, and I have already make progress in that category. I've gotten myself certified to teach high school mathematics in FL, and the school district has told me that they have a great need for new math teachers every year. I'm also looking into working part-time in a bar or restaurant there, as it is a major tourist destination, and it seems that would be a great way to supplement my income as well as meet people down there.


Several other things are going to happen between now and when I move (the actual moving date is TBD but I'm currently shooting for March), and I'll be following up with those on here. I find that when I put my business out in the open (like i'm doing on this blog), it is a great motivator to reach goals. Lets face it, everyone likes to brag when they accomplish something! The goals between now and the move are:


1) Quit smoking for good

2) Get into the best shape of my life

3) Get my debt situation under control



So I'll be updating this blog every morning and hopefully this will be a great 2010 for me, and I hope some of you will help encourage me on this journey!

3 comments:

  1. Hey buddy,
    I saw your facebook post.
    I have always heard people say they are gonna do something but never follow through. Good to see you go through with it. I wanna say good luck with your endeavors
    -Ram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Matt! I'm looking forward to seeing you in Key West very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck matt. great job on your blog and having the balls, unlike me, to live a dream and move to KW.....BYRDMAN

    ReplyDelete