Monday, April 26, 2010

Reflections on the Ale House...

Only 4 more days till I hit the road! I just finished my last weekend at Ale House, and it went pretty well. Working during the UFC fights is something I definitely WILL NOT miss about the job. Sure, the place gets busy, but you get the same 4 tables all night long (people actually start showing up at 6 or 7 to get a table for a PPV fight that runs from 10-1), and a good portion of the people don't really spend any movey during the fight. I had one table this past week who drank rootbeer, didn't eat, and took up one of my 4 tables for 6 hours. Their bill was a whopping $8!

As much as I bitch about it, I really will miss that place. First of all, as far as waiting tables goes, you're not gonna find a place where you make more money in Columbia. I've worked at a total of 4 restaurants in the area over my college career, and trust me, there really is no comparison. As long as you don't mind late night hours, having your legs feel like they're made of Jell-O at the end of a friday night shift, and cleaning up puke on occasion, its the best serving job around. There's a reason that there was about a 6-month period where we didn't hire one new server. Nobody left, and that kind of low turnover is unheard of in most restaurants!

Money aside, there are other reasons I'll miss the Ale House. For one, there really is (for the most part), a great group of people working there. Of course there are one or two people I could do without, but I have made so many friends there and I hope we all stay in touch over the years. A lot of them say they'll come visit me in the keys, and I hope some actually do!

One thing I'm not looking forward to down in the keys is job-hunting. I absolutely hate not only looking for a job, but having to go through the initial period when you're trying to prove yourself as a good worker to everyone so they stop treating you like a newbie. With my experience and education, I'm pretty confident that I will find a job pretty easily, its just a matter of whether I'll like it or not. For those of you who remember, it was a random job search that resulted in me working at Damon's. God, that was awful!

On a side note, I'm planning to apply for a bunch of jobs in the next few weeks, both in restaurants and in education-related jobs. I could really use references, especially from those of you I've worked with and those who have know me for a while. If anyone finds the time to write me a short letter of reference saying how I'd be a good employee to hire, that would be the best going-away gift I could ask for! It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, just a few sentences with your name and contact info at the end. I would greatly appriciate the help, and if you are willing to do this, let me know! Thanks a bunch!!

matt

No comments:

Post a Comment