Friday, May 14, 2010

Employment!

So I've been here for just over 2 weeks and all of a sudden started having success with the job hunt. On tuesday, right after I got back from Islamorada, my phone started ringing every few minutes about applications I had put in. After 3 exhausting days of inteviews, second interviews, background checks, etc. I now have 2 jobs for the summer.

First, the full-time job...I got hired at the restaurant supervisor at the Sheraton Suites Key West, right on smathers beach. I'm thrilled about the job, not just because it has pretty good pay and full benefits, but the hours are great, and the Sheraton is where I used to stay when I came here on vacation over the years. The restaurant does most of his business during breakfast, and handles all room-service food as well as the food for the bar at the pool. As such, my hours will be mostly daytime, most of my shifts will be 7-3 or something similar. Once I have been there for 90 days, I get full benefits including health insurance. My biggest complaint about management the first time around was the hours. I was on salary, so it didn't matter if I worked 40 hours or 70 hours a week, I got paid the same. (Usually it was closer to 70) The Sheraton pays its managers hourly, so now I won't mind the extra hours....overtime!











I also got a part-time bartending job at the Hyatt resort. The Hyatt is right on the marina, and is one of the most beautiful resorts I've ever seen...







Because of this, the Hyatt does a lot of business in weddings, banquets, etc. I'll be on-call for their special events, which they get anywhere between 1 and 8 per week. I'll get a nice hourly rate ($7-8 range), plus a pool that gets distributed amongst all the banquet people (bar, servers, chefs), AND I get to put a tip jar out on my bar. The best part of this is that its a very flexible job. They call a week in advance and ask if I want to work a certain party, and if I have other commitments already, thats no problem at all. A perfect side job!




Both of these jobs are corporate, so I had to do a background investigation (Hyatt), and a drug test(Sheraton). Once these come back clean I'll get my official start dates, and they both already know I'll be out of town from the 24th-29th, so my start date will hopefully be right after that! I'll keep you posted.

In other news, I saw Iron Man 2 last night. I had high expectations after the first one, and I was a little dissapointed with the sequel. Still a cool movie, just nowhere near as good.

Tonight is game 7 in the Flyers vs. Bruins playoff series. I'll be down at Pat Croce's watching the game, so anyone else in town, come join me! I love it at the Rum Barrel, the bartenders are awesome, and most people at the bar are from philly or south jersey. Plus they give me a locals discount! The Flyers were down 3 games to nothing earlier in the series, so the fact that there is a game 7 is pretty cool!

I had breakfast at Goldman's Deli in new town this morning, and it felt just like being in a Jersey diner. I had scrambled eggs with bacon, home fries, and a REAL bagel. And since this place is far away from the tourist district, it is very reasonably priced...all that food and coffee was right around $8. Since parking is such a hassle in my neighborhood, I normally stay close for breakfast, but I'll definitely be going back to Goldman's. Worth the hassle!

Thats about it for today. Its overcast and raining on and off, so I'll probably just hang out around the house for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats my friend. you could not have found two better gigs. now you can eaze your mind and start living your island life dream. at ale house yesterday, alot of people asked about you. told them simply " HE'S LIVING A DREAM " i still vow to do it myself one day.......BYRDMAN

    ReplyDelete