Saturday, May 1, 2010

Finally here!



Its been an exhausting day of driving and moving, but I'm finally settled in. I was gonna go out and explore a bit, but I'm feeling like being lazy for a little while!


I got up bright and early in Ft. Lauderdale, went to Einstein's for a bagel with Jordan, then off I went. Got to Key West at 3:00 or so and found the key John had hidden for me by the door. Sidenote: both of my housemates are named John, so for future clarification, this is how I'll differentiate;


1) Chef John : The guy who owns the house, he's also the chef at the golf course here. He was telling me when I first met him how the recession had particularly hit luxury services such as catered meals at country clubs, and as a result, he had been working very part time for the past few years. He said business has picked up tremendously recently, so much so that he's working 12 hour days for most of this week, then going to Islamorada for 4 nights for a super catering job. Good for him!


2) Writer John: The guy who is renting the other room. He's in the process of writing a book right now and stays in his room a lot. Hopefully whenever I talk to him next I'll find out what its about!


So I got all settled in, and then went for a quick late lunch/ early dinner at Guy Harvey's. Some of you have probably seen the Guy Harvey shirts everyone has nowadays, with the fish and stuff all over them. Well, Guy Harvey opened a restaurant down here, so I wanted to try it out. I wasn't in a beer drinking mood yet, so I started with an iced tea and a cup of their seafood chowder. The chowder was great, it had full shrimp and bitesize chunks of several fish in it. I recognized snapper and grouper. Then I got a half-pound of steamed shrimp. Key West is famous for its shrimp, and these did not dissapoint. Plus the place is very reasonably priced, especially for Key West. All that stuff for $15.50 plus tip is almost like Columbia prices. Anyways, if you ever come down here, I'd highly recommend Guy Harvey's.


Thats about it for now. I'm about to take a walk over to Captain Tony's for a quick amber draft and then its back here to go to sleep. Captain Tony's is my favorite bar on the island, and talking about it could take a whole blog entry to get through. And I'll be sure to write about it tomorrow!

This is part of my room....I love all the artwork on the walls. The house has such a cool "Old Key West" feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment