Monday, May 3, 2010

Live from Windsor Lane






So I've been in Key West for 3 days now...so much to write about!


The first picture is Higgs Beach. Now, Key West is not known for its beaches. If what you're after is beautiful beaches, you would be much better off in a bunch of other south Florida towns. That being said, there still are a lot of great spots to go by the water. This one is called Higgs Beach, and its the closest one to my house. So far, my morning routine in town consists of getting a large con leche at sandy's (its a cuban coffee drink), then walking for about 5 minutes to the end of white street, where the beach and the white street pier are. The pier is a great place to sit and have coffee, and the beach, like so much of key west, has so much history to it...


At night I have a few favorite spots. Saturday night, went to Captain Tony's for a few beers before bed. Captain Tony's became famous in Jimmy Buffett's song "Last Mango in Paris". When Jimmy was just getting started in music, he used to play for tourists at Captain Tony's for 10 bucks and a 6 pack of beer a night. Every time a big-time celebrity comes in, they put his/her name on a barstool so you can tell people something like "I'm sitting on Jerry Seinfeld right now". The walls are covered in business cards people have left there over the years, and its fun to look at some of the older ones from the 60's and 70's.


Last night I went to the Rum Barrel for dinner and to watch the Phillies game. The Rum Barrel is owned by Pat Croce, who is a legend around Philly. He spoke at my elementary school in Jersey when I was 9. Because if this, the Rum Barrel is the location of the Southernmost Phillies Club. During the game, I tried the philly cheese steak, which is actually the recipe from Geno's in philly, apparently Pat bought the rights to use the recipe in Key West. As anyone from philly knows, a real philly is made with cheeze whiz (thats right), fried onions, and served on an italian hoagie roll. Nothing else...no peppers, etc. It was excellent! I thought I was sitting at Geno's again. A great way to watch the phillies! And we won 11-5.


And last but certainly not least, tonight I went to perhaps my favorite place in town, the schooner wharf. The schoner wharf is at the end of the marina, right on the water. I absolutely love he atmosphere of this place. Its mostly locals who hang out there, so I went down there to mingle and take in the view. I ordered the seafood sampler, and WOW! It came with a mahi filet, caught right off the coast in KW, unbelievably fresh! Also 4 fried and 4 grilled shrimp, which key west is famous for. Last were 2 conch fritters, and they were the best I've had so far. There are a lot of places you can get fresh seafood, but conch fritters are unique to key west. There are several places here that claim to have the best, but so far schooner wharf is the winner in my eyes. Good food, good company, just a great time!

Thats about it for tonight...I'm calling it an early night because I actually have to be productive tomorrow! Goodnight everyone! I'll leave you a picture of windsor lane, taken from in front of the house, looking toward the cemetary at the end of the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment