Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oil in the Keys...a sad day

Not to be a downer, but this morning they found balls of tar washed up on Ft. Zach beach right here in Key West. They had been saying that at worst case scenario it would take another 10 days or so...but surprise, its here early. I hope it turns out to be just a few balls of tar and oil and not a massive amount. I also hope BP and Transocean take FULL responsibility for this awful mess, and that they have to pay through the nose. It seems the only thing these big oil companies understand is money, so we need to make it so costly that they take every possible measure not to let this happen ever again!

Enough with the bad. There are still many good times to be had on this little island. On saturday I went over to the Schooner Wharf with some friends. They were having a party to celebrate the anniversary of their "magic bar". The Schooner has a house magician to entertain bar patrons with magic tricks, a great idea, because magic tricks seem to astound people more after a few adult beverages. Imagine my surprise when I looked to the stage and Clarence Clemons of the E-Street Band made a surprise appearance and played a show with the house band.

Also in attendance was Mike Leach, former head foodball coach at Texas Tech. Coach Leach got involved in some controversy over mistreating a player who had a concussion. The circumstances of his firing were shady at best, among the reasons are that the player was the son of a prominant ESPN anchor, and he was fired the day before he would have gotten a huge bonus according to his contract. He is currently in the middle of a lawsuit with Texas Tech and I hope everything works out for him. After he was let go, he did the same thing I did when I was in a rut...packed up his stuff and moved down to Key West!

I've also been spending quite a bit of time at the Rum Barrel watching the Flyers' historic playoff run. Its always a great crowd there for playoff games, most of the customers are on vacation from Philly or South Jersey, my kind of people! I'll be there tonight for game 2 of the eastern conference finals, and hopefully I'll remember my camera this time!

In job news, my drug test results finally came back, so I'm officialy a new employee at the Sheraton. My first day will be June 1st, two days after we get back from the cruise. I can't wait to start...Key West has a way of depleting savings accounts pretty quick! Thats about it for now...about to take my walk to Sandy's for a con leche and some cuban toast. Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. oh you telling me brother. that island has a way of sucking cash out of me and mindy also. sandy's aaahhhhh ! drink a bucci for me. watch out for tar balls ?

    ReplyDelete